07 November 2008


The goodbyes have started.

Earlier this week my driver, Shirin, gave me an Afghan coat that his cousin sent from Mezar-e Sharif.

On Wednesday we had a little ceremony at the depot. My whole team was there, the US military, the ANA, and our translators and drivers. First I handed out certificates to all the translators and drivers, thanking them for their service during my tenure. Afghans love certificates. The translators presented to me a leather wallet made in Afghanistan, and the drivers gave me a rug with the likeness of Massoud. My team gave me a beautiful Afghanistan coffee table book and a cake. I gave a little speech thanking them and telling everyone how much I treasure my time here.

On Thursday the other MPRI logistics team had a little event for me. They raised an American flag, then lowered, folded it, and presented it to me along with a certificate. Then we went to the pizza restaurant and they had a little roast for me. Most of my team was there too, and they brought another cake. The
logistics team gave me an Afghan flag embroidered with my name and time here.

On Monday morning, I'll have the traditional ceremony
along with a handful of other guys leaving on Monday and be presented a plaque by the MPRI Program Manager.

I still have a little work to do, but for the most part I'll be checking out for the next few days--turning in my computer, phone, uniforms, etc.

It certainly was an adventure. Part of me will always be in Afghanistan.

Out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

been reading through all your blogs for the last bit. very interesting. the part where you came home and the openness of the highway and stopping at redlights and the unnerving feeling it sounds like you were having really makes you realize how numb a person can get over there.

i live north of dallas about 50 miles and appreciate your stories, experiences and your appreciation for shiner.

have a good trip back and avoid gatwick.

scott (scott@redishconstruction.com)
also a fellow ARFcommer (sredish)