09 November 2008


Goodbye Afghanistan.

It's Sunday night, my last night here. I'm leaving tomorrow. Unless something remarkable happens on the trip home, this will be my last entry.

I can't even think of anything interesting to say, and I've had a lot of time to think about it. I considered writing about my opinion of the progress we've made here, but it would be only a narrow view of my small part in the big picture. Instead I'll just cut to the bottom line: twenty years. I think it will take another twenty years before we make a difference here.

I've done my part for the war on terror. Now, unlike the courageous men & women in the military, I can go home and not look back. Our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and Marines will likely be back--either here or Iraq. Hopefully I've been able to make a small contribution in the last twenty-two months with MPRI in Afghanistan.

I'm going home to a new job in Dallas; to my beautiful wife Julie; to my family and friends; and to the safety, comfort, convenience, and civility of a modern society.

Fair winds and following seas, my friends.

Out.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It agree, rather useful phrase

Anonymous said...

Genial fill someone in on and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

it would be a great useful for some people who want to start their own resource. it is my pleasure to be one of those people who commented on your article . . thank you for give a opportunities... more power and god bless ..

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please reply to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at rlanicek.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
William

Anonymous said...

I must digg your article so other people can see it, very helpful, I had a hard time finding the results searching on the web, thanks.

- Norman

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this link, but unfortunately it seems to be down... Does anybody have a mirror or another source? Please answer to my post if you do!

I would appreciate if a staff member here at rlanicek.blogspot.com could post it.

Thanks,
Oliver