18 January 2007

Entry for January 18, 2007

Been sick for the last two days. During our in-brief, they told us it was only a matter of time before we got sick because everyone does. Mine came quickly. We didn't go into work yesterday because the roads were Condition Black, meaning only mission-essential vehicle travel allowed. But Black was upgraded to Yellow around noon so Log personnel at D-1 and D-2 (Supply Depot One, where I work; and Supply Depot Two, where Greg & Mark work) went into work. My supervisor, Dana Cook, realized I was sick and told me to stay in bed. I stayed in bed today also. Only missed a half day today though, since the Islam weekend started at noon. Greg came into my room when he got back from work to check on me and take me to lunch, since we have to travel in pairs. Greg is a good guy.

We first met in Alexandria, Virginia, when my group of new hires arrived at MPRI headquarters for orientation and processing. In his late forties, Greg Johnson is a retired Army Sergeant Major. He spent 26 years in the Army, 23 of those in 82nd Airborne. His wife is a school teacher in Atlanta. His first job after retiring from the Army was with KBR in Iraq. Not the first person I met who previously worked for KBR, he says MPRI is a much better company--better management, better pay and benefits, better working conditions. Although is is competent and professional, he makes me laugh with his constant complaining. Not true complaining so much, but the way he does it. His voice and mannerisms will suggest utmost pain, sorrow, & humiliation over the smallest thing.

For example, last night we walked to the Aid Station to get some cold medicine for me on the way to dinner. We arrived shortly after 1700 (5:00 PM) and opened the door just as the medical personnel were about to leave. They said they were closed and I'd have to come back in the morning. I was a little perturbed because it didn't seem like it would be too inconvenient or time consuming for them to reach into the cabinet and hand me some meds, but I wasn't too upset because I could buy some Robitussin and Vitamin C at the PX after dinner. (Has to be after dinner because we aren't allowed to bring bags of any sort into the DFAC--could be concealing IEDs ). But Greg talked about that for the rest of the night, and reminded me of it this afternoon.

Another example was today. After lunch and a successful visit to the Aid Station for the aforementioned medicines, we stopped at MPRI Admin because Greg was expecting a package from his wife. His package was there. She mailed his goodies in a printer box. While all of us are thrilled to receive packages from home, Greg complained the whole way because of the size of the box he had to carry: "Why did she have to send such a big box?"

Walking back to the Falcon House from Camp Eggers, Greg griping about his big box, we were greeted by the usual assortment of children trying to sell scarfs, phone cards, and gum. I liberated an orange from the DFAC earlier and I gave it to "Flipper". Flipper is a kid with deformed arms. Afterwards I felt bad--I wonder how he's going to peel it? Next time I'll get an apple...

No comments: