12 January 2007

Today was my first real day off. We take off on the Islamic weekend, which is Thursday noon through sunrise Saturday. Got up and went to the gym with Kurt and Marty at 0700. There are two gyms on Camp Eggers, also in what were previously Afghan houses. One has weight machines on the first floor and aerobic machines on the second floor; the other is primarily free weights. We went to the former this morning. I did the elliptical for 30 minutes then lifted for 30 minutes. The aerobic work here is harder than I'm accustomed to because of the elevation. Kabul is 6,000 feet above sea level, making it one of the highest capital cities in the world. Then we went to breakfast in one of the two DFACs (Dining Facility Administration Center). I don't know why the Army added "Administration Center" to the dining facility. I had an omelet with cheese, onion, and mushrooms; bacon; French toast; grits; coffee; juice; and a cookie. I didn't finish the cookie.

Then we walked back to our house, called the Falcon House. All of MPRI's houses have names. I piddled around and straightened up my room a little and then went to the Bazaar. Every Friday local vendors set up shop just outside the main entrance to Camp Egger. They had old guns, mostly old inoperable Afghan rifles. Apparently it is legal to buy them and ship them home if they're manufactured prior to a specific date which makes them antiques. (Orders, anyone?) I thought it was interesting that there were also a few old British swords; WW II German helmets and bayonets; and more recent Russian bayonets and belts with buckles. There were also lots of rugs, jewelry, clothes, fur coats, and pirated DVDs. I bought "We Are Marshall", "Rocky Balboa", "Freedom Writers", "Blood Diamond", and "Night at the Museum" all for $10 US. I don't know yet about the quality, but according to the folks that have been here a while, they are acceptable. Besides, what can you expect for $2? I met Greg there and we had lunch. I had a cheeseburger, scalloped potatoes, peas & carrots, Gatorade, and a cookie. I finished the cookie this time.

Then Greg & I got a driver to take us to another joint camp here called Camp Phoenix. Camp Phoenix is about twenty minutes away on Jelalabad Road. MPRI has vehicles with drivers available all day. Whenever we leave the immediate Camp Egger area, like going to work or another military installation, we are required to travel in pairs and wear body armor. We heard the PX on Camp Phoenix had items that the PX here doesn't have so we went to check it out. I got a backpack, t-shirt, and some batteries. Then we went upstairs and had a cup of coffee at a contract coffee shop called the Green Bean. They also had a Dairy Queen, pizza place, & pool tables. On the way from the front gate to the PX we saw two German armored personnel carriers (APCs) pulling out and a UN convoy pulling in.We walked out the front gate to meet our ride and were immediately assaulted by Afghan kids demanding one dollar. There was a mix up with the drivers and we waited outside for about 30 minutes waiting. I gave two kids each $1 to try some Copenhagen. I thought that would make them go away but they just announced their good fortune to some other kids nearby who also joined in the assault. We were warned not to interact with the kids because they don't want them to be encouraged. At least the kids at Camp Eggers try to sell something, scarfs; magazines; candy--but these kids were simply begging. You could tell which ones go to school and which ones don't by the quality of their English. We were finally rescued by our driver and made it safely back to Falcon House where I am writing this, waiting patiently for dinner. On Fridays they have surf & turf: steak and lobster or shrimp. I am really going to have to start working out more or you won't recognize my fat self when I get home...

I don't really need anything that I can't get here or order online, but I did think of something you could send if you were so inclined: children's clothes. Instead of donating those unusable items (Danny & Kim and Shane & Sam), box them up and send them to me. Most of the kids I see around here are from 8 to 14 years old, but being under-nourished they are smaller than American kids of the same age, and they have little siblings at home if the clothes are too small. It appears to me that they could all use shoes.

That's all for now. More later. Out.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh baby, have a safe trip